Saturday, December 4, 2010

Brussels

Because Canadian and American Thanksgivings fall on different dates, I've felt a bit out of touch with Thanksgiving since I started living in the USA, six years ago. My parents, in Toronto, celebrated it in October, and when Alex and I came home in November, we'd often end up having chicken instead of Turkey.

This year I strayed even farther from the holy Turkey dinner - I rang in Thanksgiving in Brussels, with chocolate, french fries, and beer. While my American travel companions (2 guys, 2 girls) complained of missing a proper Thanksgiving meal, I was quite content.

Belgian chocolate, in my opinion, really IS that good. I bought an embarassing amount, and have finished all of it which I didn't immediately give to my coworkers. Sorry Mom, but none of it will be making its way home for Christmas.

I fell in love with this little sweetshop, "La Cure Gourmande"(it's a chain), where I bought three cookie tins and an excessive amount of chocolate. I filled one tin with cookies, but the other two I bought simply because the boxes were so pretty.




Cookie Tins


Beer: both nights we went to a bar called Delirium, which has over 2000 beers on tap. It was a riot. Three floors, jam packed with people (who were dancing! Greeks don't dance), loud classic rock.

Belgians are notorious for being the most boring people in Europe. I'd like to say "I couldn't disagree more," but the truth is, I didn't meet many Belgians in Belgium. I did have a lovely time with the French and the Brits, though.

The second night, I struck up a conversation with two French guys dressed in drag (one as some kind of red mixed religion drag queen). I thought maybe there was an occasion, but when asked why they were dressed up, they responded, "Why not?"

"Why not?"
We also met a group of British blokes and ended up chatting and dancing with them until 4 am, when Delirium finally closed. Some of them had such thick cockney accents that I couldn't understand half of what they were saying, so having a language in common wasn't such a wonderful thing after all.

*When I say we, I mean, me plus the two other female teaching fellows who went on the trip. We somehow managed to spend almost no time with the boys.


What I loved most about Brussels was that it put me in the Christmas spirit. Although Athens is doing its darndest to be jolly (there are TONS of Christmas shops), the still seventy-five degree weather somehow makes it quite difficult to get into the cheer. Brussels, on the other hand, was f-ing freezing. It was a major shock to the system to walk out of the airport into such frigid air. But it was invigorating.

The Grand Place
There was a fantastic "light show" in the "Grand Place," Brussels' main square. This square has some magnificent architecture, and the light show mimicked the building whose facade it played onto exactly. Thus it looked as though the building were lighting up from the inside... err, kindof hard to describe. Maybe you had to be there.

I loved speaking French again in Brussels. It reminded me how little Greek I know, which is funny, because in Budapest, hearing hungarian reminded me how MUCH Greek I know. I do think French is a beautiful language and I'm thankful I studied it all through gradeschool and highschool. Id like to go back to it at some point.

Manneken Pis

In terms of sight seeing, we went to the Magritte museum, which was nice because Magritte is pretty weird and out there, but I find his work easy enough to understand. After one museum, we were museumed out, and spent most of the time walking around and eating. Of course we saw, "Manneken Pis," which is very, very small. It was rather underwhelming. 



Part of me felt like I should've taken advantage of my time there and gone to as many tourist destinations and museums as possible, but a larger part of me felt like the best way to see and enjoy a city is to just walk around. And eat waffles. 

Now, back in Athens, back to reality: I had my first full week of school in over a month this past week, and I'm exhausted!!! And I have three more full weeks to go before Christmas break. Aye aye aye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment